Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Dessert Time!

Well, we've completed another Very, Very {P}interesting project and now we are ready to share it with you! This project was one of Jasmine's picks but since she is super busy right now she asked if I would do the post, {hey that's what Moms are for!}, so here we go.
This month we made Cake/Dessert Serving Plates using old vases, glasses, bowls and plates. Once again we found all of the items either in our own basements or at a Thrift Store. Some were made of glass, others from tin. {Season tried using a couple of rectangular plates that were made of plastic but they didn't work that well}. We washed all of the dishes and let them dry thoroughly. Then we glued the base {ie. an ice cream dish, wine glass, vase, etc.} to the top {ie. a torte tin, ceramic plate, salad plate, etc} using E6000 adhesive. By mistake we bought one that was black adhesive...next time we would make sure it was the white. We let the glue dry for the recommended. 24 hours. For painting we used both Krylon and Liquitex spray paints. We found that we liked the Liquitex better in that the colour was truer to the shade on the cap and it just seemed richer. It took about 3 thin coats to get the intensity of colour we wanted. After the pieces were completely dry we sprayed them with a clear coat. So without further ado here are some pics...
To protect the surrounding area we placed the items in a cardboard box while painting
For this one Season used a tin plate and tall vase
Here they are drying in the sunshine
Our finished Dessert Servers in all shapes, sizes and colours!
Jasmine made this dainty, lavender one using a brandy glass and tea cup saucer
I made this one using a salad plate and ice cream dish
This is a photo of 3 stacked on top of each other, which would be very pretty as a center piece.

Once again this was a fun and easy project. The only thing we would do different is the time of year. In order to spray paint you need to do it outdoors and we found it was just too cold the day we did this. Definitely a warm, sunny day project!

 So what's next you ask..... Birdhouses! 
{Hopefully something like this one on PINTEREST}

Pinned Image


Something for the "Body" of your birdhouse {with the holes drilled}
Something for the "Roof" of your birdhouse
Lots of fun embellishments
A "Stand" for your birdhouse.

See you next month.

The Girls

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Mid-Month Post

Hi all, Jazz here... and I am bored.  So, I was sorting through a closet and came across some RIVER ROCKS in an old mason jar, and thought, 'I can do something with these!' So, I broke out some {wall} primer and gave them a good TWO COATS and dried it with my drying tool.  Next, I picked out some fun colours and gave the rocks another TWO GOOD COATS of paint {any latex should do}.  While that was drying I picked out some fun {rubber} stamps, along with my black ink pad {STAZON - Jet Black}. When the paint was completely dry I gave it a quick sand with some 120grit sand-paper, stamped them and then gave them a quick spray with so clear coat {tremclad...or any other 'stays clear' exterior spray} ... they came out looking like this -
Aren't they fun!
Then I moved onto a larger ROCK, that I stole {shhh!} from my Grandparent's house... {same technique}
Threw them in the garden... and took a couple of shots {in the dark}!
Thanks for popping by!

  {sorry for the lack of {non-existent} step by step photos}

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

We're Back; with Project #2

Hi there, Nancy here, aka mom or grandma. Since this project was one of my "picks" I get the privilege of sharing with you our attempt at it. So here we go.....
Our project this month was to make a "Spoon Bracelet" like this one we found on Pinterest.
 We scoured our local thrift stores for cutlery that had pretty patterns on the handles. Jasmine, (she is wonderful at thinking outside of the box) decided to try using the handle of  a Sterling Silver serving dish. She also already had some odd pieces of sterling silverware to work with.  The rest of us ended up using just ordinary Stainless Steel forks and spoons. Here is a close up of one of my finished bracelets.
 To cut the handles we used bolt cutters. They worked like a charm!
 The drilling of the holes was done with a drill using a small bit. We used both a metal file and a Dremel to smooth the rough edges.
 The hardest part of making these bracelets was SMOOTHLY bending the handle. We tried using vice grips and pliers but found it very hard not to end up with a real crink in it rather than a smooth bend. Using a propane torch to heat the handle first proved to be the best method.  The handle does get extremely hot so you must wear gloves and hold the handle with vice grips. Heat handle until it changes colour and then using another set of vice grips bend very slowly and with gentle pressure until you get the shape you desire. The discolouring was easily buffed off.
The rest is very simple, just add jump rings as needed, a closure at the back and if you want a charm, beads, etc. to to dress up the front.
Here are a few photos of our finished projects.

 {this one was made from a Silver Handled Dish - Jazz just cut off the handle and bent it around a rolling pin to create this cuff}

We all agreed that this was a fun project...so much so that we ended up making 4 or 5 bracelets each!

 For MAY'S PROJECT we will be making serving/cake plates like these ones! 
Supplies Needed:
1 old glass or metal plate (whatever size you want) for the top
1 old glass or metal vase, (glass, small bowl, etc.), for the bottom
Adhesive for glass /metal
Spray Paint

Thanks for stopping by and be sure to check out ALL of our UPCOMING PROJECTS on PINTEREST!

The Girls